November 6, 2014
For the Stir Fry
1 14-ounce package firm or extra firm tofu
2 cups roughly chopped green beans
1 cup diced carrots or red pepper
2 Tbsp toasted coconut oil for sautéing
3 pandan leaves (Indonesian: daun pandan)
For the Stir Fry
1/4 cup Gluten free Tamari Soy Sauce
1 Tbsp fresh grated ginger
2 Tbsp Bali Nutra Coconut Syrup
1 Lime the juic
A tofu-veggie stir fry made tasty with a simple technique that gives the tofu perfect texture and flavor. Serve over rice or on its own for a healthy and delicious weeknight meal.
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees and begin drying your tofu. Drain, remove it from the package and place between two thick towels folded into the shape of the tofu. Then place a plate or bowl on top and top it with something heavy like a book or skillet.
2. Let it dry for about 15 minutes, changing your towels if they get too wet. Once dry, chop into roughly 1-inch cubes.
3. Arrange tofu on a baking sheet and bake for a total of 30-35 minutes, flipping once halfway through to ensure even.
4. Once it’s golden brown and a bit tough and firm, remove from the oven set it out to dry a bit more while you prep your vegetables. Ideally, it would set out another 45 minutes or even longer.
5. If serving over rice, start the rice at this point.
6. In a small mixing bowl, whisk together all of the sauce ingredients – set aside.
7. To a large skillet over medium-high heat, add sesame oil and swirl to coat. Then add veggies and toss to coat. Cook for rectangles (see photo). cooking. This will dry out the tofu and help give it a more meat-like texture. I don’t think it would hurt either way.
8. Cook the mixture for 3-5 minutes, stirring often. When veggies are cooked to your preferred doneness, remove from 5-7 minutes, stirring often. When the vegetables have some color and have softened a bit, add the sauce and stir. It should bubble and thicken. Then add the tofu and stir to coat. heat. Serve as is or over rice for a more filling meal. Best when eaten fresh, though will keep in the refrigerator for a couple days.